Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The hills are alive!

Today was another day of no subbing.. I've noticed that when I don't sub and I don't get up and get outside at some point in my day, I feel as if time has flown and I've not been very productive. This is largely due to the fact that much of the last few weeks has been filled with job searches, and massive papers/reading for my grad classes.

Today I decided it was such a beautiful day that I was going to go for a walk. I needed to go to the bank and the store, and since my bank is in Albertsons, I chose to walk there. I knew it was about a mile one way if I take my favorite route. The route heads down a road that dead ends near my house and is lined with equestrian ranches and cattle and open sprawling beautiful green hills. I love living in the hills, because I get to live in the city, but also feel like I'm in the country.
So I started my walk.. as I past the equestrian ranches I waived to the gardeners and horse trainers I passed. It was a beautiful day for a walk, I turned on my ipod and blasted country music and just enjoyed the scenery. Once I reached the store I realized that it was a little bit further than I thought. I headed home and on the way home I saw quail, bunnies, cows, horses, squirrels and lots of beautiful birds and wildlife. It made me realize how amazing God is. Being the history geek I am I began thinking about how the land looked like 160 years ago when the earliest settlers of the area would've been arriving. It was nice to find spots where there were no people, or development and its pure untouched green hills.
When all was said and done, my hour walk took me a little over 3 miles round trip, but it gave me a great time to sing country and not have anyone hear, and also take in the beauty and creativeness of our God. I think we all need to do this every once in a while.. Be still and know!

No comments: