Wednesday, November 12, 2008

adventures in car shopping

So after a month of having no real car of my own I finally have my own car.
While car shopping is never really easy, this seemed to be even more frustrating and comical all at the same time. I went through I can't tell you how many car salesman and by the end of the experience I think I gave the last few a run for their money (especially since they didn't meet my sales people criteria).. Along the way we met a few characters.. First there was the guy who spoke almost no english. (we think he wasn't really a salesman, but since he was locking cars and we were walking up he decided to try his hand at it) We called him Sinbad when it was all over. There was no introduction so we never really found out his name, and he apparently had a hard time talking to girls, because even though I was the one buying the car and telling him what I liked or didn't like he only talked to my dad. That needless to say didn't win him any points. I knew more about the car than he did too... That was also scary. He finally handed us off to the man we affectionately dubbed " cancer man" after Sinbad, we were relieved to have someone who spoke to me and asked me the questions and actually spoke english well enough to be understood. We test drove the car, and then said that we wanted to look into our financing and he would get back to us about a few of the questions I had. As we were walking into the dealership for him to get me some brochures he randomly pops out with "I had cancer in 2006 and lost my daughter..." I'm like whoa.. where'd that come from? Sad, yes, it was. But then you feel bad if you don't by the car from the man, because you know he's a cancer survivor who lost his daughter like 2 years ago, and he was really nice, but still that's kinda awkward.

So we finally decide to take one last look at Hondas (my dad's decision not mine) and while there the salesman couldn't even remember my name and was telling me how to drive on a wide open empty road that had no lane markings on it. (apparently I couldn't see the invisible oncoming cars that were about to crash head on into me) So he got the x as well. We finally went back to visit Sean. Thank God for Sean. He was normal, not a salesman out to pitch anything at all. He's who got our money. It was such a relief after being at the circus of car dealerships to have a normal person who's not trying to rope you into anything you don't want.

No comments: